February 18, 2014

DIY Parisian Inspired Journal with Americana Home Chalky Finish Paint #diy #craft

I have had a large 8.5"x11" Daler Rowney hardback sketch book in my studio for a while now...going on two years actually, and I haven't really know what to do with it until recently.

I wanted it to be something special, and I knew that the new Americana Home Chalky Finish paint and stencils would make for a really lovely design on my cover of my journal.

Materials

Sketchbook {I picked up mine at Walmart for about $12}
Americana Home Chalky Finish paint {I used Everlasting for the base and Relic for the stencil}
Americana Home Chalky Finish Stencils
Americana Traditions flat brush
Americana Accessories stencil sponge


The first step in this project is to remove the front cover from the rest of your sketchbook. Since I used a spiral bound book, it was easy to pop it off and get started painting.

With my flat brush, I applied one layer of Americana Home Chalky Finish Paint in Everlasting. When most of the cover was dry, I used the excess paint from the metal part of the paint brush handle to apply more of the paint for a distressed look.


Once dry, position your stencil {I chose Vintage Keys}. Using a stencil sponge, dip it in your accent color, then in your base color. Remove the excess paint, then apply over your stencil, working it evenly onto the surface of your sketchbook. You are essentially creating highlights and contrast, so be sure to mix it up and work with your paints until you are happy with how the stencil turns out.


Allow the paint to dry completely. You can further distress the cover of your sketchbook by rubbing the stenciled image and edges lightly with sandpaper. You can also embellish your journal with ribbons, sculpted elements, or like I have done here with a vintage skeleton key to further bring out the Parisian theme.


This project would make an excellent gift for a mom-to-be to journal her pregnancy and newborn adventures, and would also be stunning as a guest book at a wedding.

Disclaimer: I am a part of the Decoart Core Blogger program and was sent product to use for this tutorial and was compensated for this point. All views and opinion expressed are my own.
Photobucket

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love skeleton keys! Lovely gift idea!

Shan said...

They're so pretty and this stencil has a good variety to choose from!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips