July 16, 2013

DIY Ombre Wall Art Display

If you have children, you know the importance of displaying their masterpieces up on the wall, for all to see. Now that our son is tapping into his creative abilities {even if they all seem to be squiggles and circles....I mean...pirates and Mr. Mischief}, I wanted to display his artwork in a creative and chic way.

Also known as...not on the fridge.

Materials:

Scrap wood - I used a piece of 2x4, about 3' in length, that we had left over from baby gate installation
Wooden clothespins
DecoArt Americana Paints in the color of your choice (I used Bahama Blue and used Warm White to tint for an ombre effect)
DecoArt Gel Wood Stains in the color of your choice (I used Walnut)
Hot glue gun
Screws
Drill

First, brush on your wood stain onto your 2x4 with a wide brush. While it is still dry, wipe it down with a rag to remove the excess.

While you are waiting for the 2x4 to dry, clip your clothespins around the mouth of a plastic cup; this will keep your fingers clean and allow you to paint all sides of the pin with ease. Paint one clothespin with your chosen acrylic paint.

For the ombre effect, mix in a bit of white in between painting each of the clothespins. Make sure you mix your paints well so they create a new solid color.

Allow everything to dry before moving onto the next step. I chose to screw the 2x4 onto the wall before attaching the clothespins with hot glue so that the screws would be embedded in the wood and the display would appear to be floating on the wall. Absolutely, you can glue your clothespins on the 2x4 first and then hang on the wall.

Once up on the wall, display those masterpieces!! This project would also be gorgeous for displaying your wedding or family photos in a unique and creative way.



















Happy painting!

Disclaimer: I am a part of DecoArt Core Blogger Program and was financially compensated for this post. The concept, views and opinions expressed are my own.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea!

Heather said...

Cute idea! I think I'll make one for Lennox's play room!

Steph said...

I love this idea, and it's a great way to display artwork from kiddos. Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

I just love this display peice! I wonder if it would still be as awesome as this one if I used a longer peice of wood? As I read the directions, a lightbulb clicked in my head. This would be really cool for displaying a "timeline" of photos of each one of my boys??

Sandy said...

Cute idea..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips